Friday, June 24, 2011

Enroute to God Knows What

In a matter of days I'll be leaving for Rwanda.  Hopefully, as my days increase there, I'll be able to finally answer all those pertinent questions (if you've had any conversation with me about what I'm doing, you understand).

Where will you live?
Who will you be working with?
How will you get around?
Will you have internet?
Is it safe?
What will you be doing?
Are you going to raise enough money?
Are you going to be eaten by a gorilla?
Why is the sky blue?
When can I come and visit you?

It's almost comical as I attempt to answer questions, often repeating the phrase, "I don't know."  Yet, as I have prepared for this journey, I've settled on the idea, rather fact, that I am on a need-to-know basis with God.  It is true that I do not know a lot of what is considered common knowledge before any trip.  However, here is what I do know:  I know where I am going,  I know Who is sending me, and I know I am not alone.


Do not let this create some kind of image of me that involves unshakeable faith and immovable courage. As my departure date draws close, I am growing more and more nervous.  However, it's not the unanswered questions that give root to my anxiety.  Rather, it is the answered ones.  I am going on a mission set out by a God I do not see, to a land I do not know, with money I do not have.


There is ample room for fear and doubt.  The temptation to fill the void with common reactions to the unknown is strong, and I do not think anyone would blink an eye if those temptations gave way to action, but that same amount of room is also available to faith and surrender.  There is opportunity before me to not only help bring justice to Rwanda, but also to allow God to strengthen my faith - faith that He will provide.  This is not an easy lesson learned, at least not by me, as God has been teaching me this lesson since I have been aware of His existence.  So here I am again: me, the worried student and Christ, the perfect teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment