Wednesday, September 7, 2011

An Early Return

My stay in Rwanda came to a screeching halt when I received word of my mother's health.  Within two weeks from a phone call with my sister, I was on a plane back to Washington.  In fact, I write this post from my hometown of Vancouver.


My mother was diagnosed with stomach cancer back in January.  Prior to leaving, I had a conversation with her about this opportunity to work for IJM in Rwanda.  Knowing her condition, she said, "Stay the course."  Without those words, I would not have taken such a journey.  But now here I am, back home, indefinitely.


This raises a lot of questions.  These questions, similar to as before I left, will remain unanswered... for now.  I'm not sure how long I will be home.  I'm not sure if I will go back.  I'm not sure what I will do next.  Today, though, I am in Vancouver, trying to help out where I can and spending time with my mom.


There is a question of finances as well.  Rightly so.  Money is continuing to be raised.  Whatever financial support is raised while I'm in the States, it will be used to reimburse expenses used in preparation of my leaving.  After all expenses have been reimbursed, which still stands a far way off, then the funds will be held until I return.


Although this Year in Africa was cut short, I do not question the time I spent there.  Although I do not understand God's will, it does not devalue it.  He is still sovereign.  He is still good.  He is still frustrating to me - a frustration rooted in ignorance, but it is a necessary ignorance for without my ignorance in His will, He would fail to be God.


Thank you for reading.


The road home

No comments:

Post a Comment