Monday, July 18, 2011

Battles Won in God's Army

Another busy week behind.  Another busy week ahead.  I'm still only scratching the surface.
The day's end as viewed from my bedroom window


Although my work has yet to produce much fruit, and it may not while I'm here, it has been a very fruitful week for IJM-Rwanda.  Two cases were brought to trial, both of which the defendant plead guilty. The two girls, currently young mothers as a result of the rapes, can now make great strides in the healing and rehabilitation process.  In the face of such evil, there is Justice.  Amidst such despair, there is Hope. Despite overwhelming callousness, there is Love. There is a God, one God, who fights for the poor and oppressed, and He uses us as His warriors. Praise God for such a tangible victory!

Another miracle witnessed this last week was the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding between IJM and the NPPA (National Public Prosecution Authority).  I claim such an event as a miracle because of the odds that stood against IJM in this process.  Although I can not go into details, know that God truly revealed His power in this signing process.  This MOU gives IJM official credibility bestowed by the government, it will allow IJM to work more efficiently in investigating cases of child sexual abuse, and there will be a stronger partnership with the government now than in years past.  Praise God for such a tangible victory!

Amidst the excitement, I remain busy behind my humble desk.  I'm currently working on two projects while offering my advice in a third and juggling daily meetings. My first project is a report writing training for all staff who are involved in report writing.  As I brought up the suggestion for a training as a result of my observance of some areas of improvement, I was tasked with the organization, presentation, and implementation of such training.  Although daunting, I'm excited to have a positive impact on something as important, but often overlooked, as the investigative reports.  My second project is a high profile case involving child sexual abuse.  Unfortunately, that is all I am able to disclose due to the nature of the case and that it is still under investigation.  Please pray for guidance, wisdom, and humility as I pursue both of these projects.

Other than that, and a cameo on the Rwandan National News channel, all is quiet on the African front.  Yes, that's right: I was on TV in Rwanda.  As I was sitting in a crowded court room, waiting for IJM's case to be heard, another high profile case was taking place.  I happen to be in the audience as the news camera swept the room.  I'm not sure what was said, but they must have thought I was there representing the Italian businessmen the case was against... a large amount of money being withheld from a large amount of people.  Typical Italians.  On the positive side, my celebrity status doesn't leave much room for competition since I was the only white person there.

No comments:

Post a Comment