Tuesday, July 26, 2011

A Week in the Life of an Umuzungu


My desk... yes, I have a chair too.


Monday: walk to work, work from 8am to 12:30pm, eat lunch at a nearby buffet of traditional African cuisine, work from 1:30 to 5pm, walk home from work, rest until 7:15, Quiz Night at a local pizzeria, read, and go to bed.

Tuesday: walk to work, work from 8am to 12:30pm, eat lunch at the same cheap and convenient buffet, work from 1:30 to 5pm, walk home from work, rest until sundown, workout, eat dinner, read, and go to bed.

Wednesday: early morning men's Bible study, get a ride to work from my boss, work until lunch, ask around to see if anybody is getting lunch somewhere other than the buffet, work until 5pm, walk home, play volleyball with some locals, eat dinner, read, and go to bed.


The buffet you hate to love
Thursday: walk to work, work until lunch, pray for anything else other than the buffet, work until I have to walk home, work out, eat dinner, rest, happy hour at the Milles Collines Hotel, keep hanging out with people from the happy hour, back home to sleep.




Friday: take the walk, work, hoping I can catch the buffet next door just to make sure I'm sick of it, keep working, play volleyball with the same locals as on Wednesday, shower (apparently the first one all week), eat dinner, watch a movie, and go to bed.


Saturday: eat my standard three donuts at the local bagel shop, go for a run to work off said donuts, wait around until something crazy comes up


Sunday: walk to a local coffee shop for journaling/devotions while sipping on an iced mocha (don't worry, I'm still not a coffee drinker), catch up on emails, write a blog entry, brunch buffet and swimming at the Milles Collines OR ultimate frisbee with the Brits OR volleyball with the Germans, shower, watch a movie, and do it all over again.


I should mention that my weekend plans are only by default in case an opportunity for an adventure does not present itself; however, it's got to be a darn good adventure to make me miss out on donuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment